Friday, April 20, 2007

Ever Feel Inadequate?

Ever felt inadequate?

I'm sure we all have at some conjuncture in our life and this week must have been the great meeting of the inadequate demons for me. It all started when my classmates presented this amazing treatment plans and I was left sitting in my usual seat in the back of the room wandering where in the world they got all this intelligence from. I guess it should have helped ease my mind when I soon found out there was a magic help book but the damage was already done (especially because the theories I really like aren't in the help book!!).
Next I felt the usual inadequacies that flushes over me during Psychopathology as I think I have heard before about maybe 10% of the words we use in that class; substance abuse - got it, depression - got it the 1 million specifiers of depression; does it really matter? Usually I pass the time by talking to my Michigan friend who wasn't there either day this week so I just sat in delusionment and had some delusions!!
On top of all this who of us didn't feel somewhat helpless with all of the awful circumstances at Virginia Tech?
Then Tuesday, the real inadequacies hit. I had two intakes (clients) back to back that I as a first year therapist with a total of about 15 hours under my belt has no idea what to do. All I could see was desperately hurting people screaming out for help and all I could do was listen and try to provide some hope for the future. I know those experienced therapists say sometimes that is the best therapy but when there are specific problems that need worked on and you don't know how to even start its hard to feel like an hour of listening has provided any comfort. Hopefully my co-therapist and supervisor are much more competent people than I am; well I know they are, so I just hope I can get it.
Then there are those times when you suddenly need to be more than a therapist to your friends but a friend to a hurting friend and you don't know the words to say to comfort and your heart aches and you can't be there to give hugs and to hold and to comfort and the therapist starts coming out in you and you have to try to figure out how to be a friend and it seems like there are no answers......etc. etc. I think you get the picture. And this doesn't happen once or twice during the weak but multiple times.
So yeah inadequate week for me. I guess the good thing is over all I'm a pretty confident person and I know I have resources to go to absorb the knowledge and wisdom that will help me through these times but man when they hit is it hard.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Bek, I totally understand what you are talking about. Feeling helpless when helping others is just part of it, I think. In youth ministry, I get just devastated when a young person won't change or is just hurting really bad and I just can't do anything about it. You are going to learn more skills to help these people, but you'll still feel somewhat helpless I'm guessing. Keep your chin up, you're one of the smartest people I know.