Saturday, February 03, 2007

Well another night at the good ole H&R Block is over and tonight was crazy. January 31st doesn't just signify the end of the first month of the year but the deadline for post marking W-2s and other tax information. So needless to say everybody in Abilene, TX that wanted a refund I think hit us up tonight. So I checked people in saw there taxes get done comforted people during there two or three hour wait all the while sitting ther thinking this is insane that these people won't come back another day. Then after I started turing people away I got an appreciation for the life I have that I so often take for granted. A lady wheeled a baby in a stroller and begged me to let her sign up. After advising her to make an appointment for Sunday or Monday she broke down. I was thinking its your stinking taxes come on. Well I tried to use my good Marriage and family therapy listening skills as she begin explaining to me how her husband left her three months ago then got arrested and left her cradled with debt and a small baby. She told me that her landlord came to kick her out of her apartment this morning but she promised them she would get her tax refund today and have it to them by 10 in the morning. She had the simplest form and my heart went out to her. so I let her sneak in. Well she still had to wait 3 hours and unlike the other patient people she sat there and patiently waited holding her baby without one complaint. When she left she broke down again and profusely thanked me.
Now I'm the type that thinks people are crazy for wanting there refund immedietely because it costs a lot more than the 10 day IRS bank deposit but tonight I realized some of these people need this just to have a roof over there head the next day or food for there little baby. Now I don't know the circumstances that got this young lady where she is but I know she is a child of God and deserves the love that we all take for granted so often. Funny how the people most desperate are the people to least complain; maybe they are the ones that really appreciate the simple things of life.

1 comment:

Kristen OQ said...

Bek:

I am so glad that you are blogging again!

What a great story to start off my day with -- a reminder to me to appreciate the simple things.