When you grow up in West Texas football is huge. Either you are a player on the field, in the huge marching bands, a cheerleader, or in the stands yelling until you are hoarse you support your team whether they are undeafeted or winless.
And aliances are formed around the college team you choose to cheer for. And in Texas there are 3 options Tech, Texas, and A&M. Whether you hook'em, gig'em, or have your guns up determines the future for many kids growing up in West Texas because that is where they set there eyes on college. And there is no splitting allegiances!!
So this weekend ESPN Gameday is in Lubbock for a huge game. I have a lot of friends there and you can feel the energy from anyone that has an allegiance to Tech or Texas. Too bad my allegiance isn't for either - well maybe that is good. Tonight is the "big" game. My friends have bad mouthed each other all week in fun and tonight my dad's team the Red Raiders take on the Longhorns where I would love to see Colt McCoy win the Heisman because well frankly he is such a role model and a leader.
So about 11 pm tonight some will be happy and some will be crushed and then just like always there will be a bunch of jesting tomorrow but then life will go back to normal until the next "big" game the day after Thanksgiving where Mr. McCoy has yet to beat my team!!!
2 comments:
that's good that your heart wasn't broken either way! it was a crazy game. lance was actually rooting for UT for once! I couldn't believe it! But Tech just played better, esp. in the first half.
I didn't know to look for Todd - that is cool!
Hope you're doing well!
Casey and I are teaching at Bluehaven this summer...we could not be more excited. :)
The McCoys are good friends of ours and go to church with us.
We are pumped about being out there for a week with our kiddos. I think they are getting us in on
3rd session, but not sure. :)
--Kristen
Post a Comment