Monday, August 11, 2008

First Day of Work

Well today was my first day at the Betty Hardwick Center also known as MHMR (Mental Health Mental Retardation) Services. I guess I expected paper work and some training but this is basically what I learned today through a series of very boring computer tutorials and 3 equally boring videos:

1) how to correctly lift a box with my knees as opposed to my back

2) which type of fire extinguisher (A, B, or C) to use with which type of fire (paper, grease, or electric)

3) My benefits don't start until December 31

4) and I should not have sex with my the "consumers" of MHMR services or with my fellow employees

Needless to say not exactly what I expected but I am home at 5 pm with no obligations and am finally getting paid so....

One other thing: for some reason my blog on graduating did not post. Had this same problem with Brasil so hopefully I'll get that figured out soon.

5 comments:

Bicky said...

hi, beck, hope today was better! the first day of anything is always a little weird; so much to learn. isn't it great to have no obligations when you get done from work?? so happy for you! What are you gonna do with all your spare time? Hope your trip to CBH was great. Also hope we can see each other very soon! Love you.

Andrea said...

Your first day of work sounds so similar to my first day on the job when I worked in advertising after college. Actually I think my first WEEK was like that. Kind of frustrating, but what can you do?!

Congrats on your graduation and on the job.

Tesney said...

How I hate orientation/training for a new job. My favorite video from my last job was titled, "Properly cleaning up bodily fluid spills." Loverly. Because everyone should know to wipe up puke, poop, urine or blood in a clockwise motion beginning from the outside and working your way inward toward the center of the spill. Right?!?

Gretchen said...

Next month when you grab the correct fire extinguisher for the rampant grease fire, you'll think...oh yea, that's why I watched that video! haha

Meredith said...

you are hilarious.