For a year I have dreaded this weekend. The end. The tears. The goodbyes. But it is over and really it was awesome. A lot of fun. I won't say the final goodbyes weren't hard or that I didn't tear up with those last hugs and last pictures at the graduation reception but really I had a blast this weekend. Of course the family was here to distract me from the realization that my family I've formed over the past two years were mostly leaving but it was amazing to spend our last two nights together as a family in a cheery and happy mood. That is what my class has always done - find that perfect balance of sentiment, happiness, sadness, fun, seriousness - I think we are all experts at it.
Some highlights from the weekend-
1) Steve's speach at the banquet - Steve that was amazing just the words we need - we will be used as we leave, molded throughout the rest of our lives
2) going to the zoo with my neices especially seeing Karlee's excitement at the bears, lions, and all the animals
3) Amy Gunn getting to the graduation rehearsal ontime (or at least before most of us); too bad that didn't happen at the banquet but its ok we waited on you for the picture.
4) Saying most of the words together as a class/family of the Serenity prayer. Hey the words we made up was what was on our hearts and that is what really counts huh?
5) Holding my little neice Brooke she is so cute but I won't say I enjoyed changing those diapers.
6) THE VIDEO
7) Seeing Karlee have the time of her life jumping from the chair in the living room to the blow up mattress over and over and over again!!! I was exhausted watching her. And then there was when she sat spell bounded by the fire works at the end of the opening ceremonies. She was not happy when it was over and kept doing the sign language sign for more and saying "mo mo mo"
There are so many more. Some memories that might fade but more that won't ever fizzle out.
There are so many more. Some memories that might fade but more that won't ever fizzle out.
Over the past week I've helped friends pack and then said goodbye as they leave. This is when I'm grateful for our society where we have email, blogs, cell phones, text messaging where I know I can keep in touch with my friends that I've spent so many hours with over the past two years.
It is wierd. For two years we've shared so many details of our lives. We have laughed together, cried together, plotted our Office video that was awesome by the way together, studied together, prayed together, yelled at each other and reconciled with each other, shared our hurts and joy, our pains and triumphs. Oh did I take for granted that time in class for prayer requests when we shared what was deepest on our hearts. It has been the time of my life. It is surreal that next week I won't just be able to call and say hey lets go hang out.
But a new chapter is starting and so I think this weekend has not been as hard as I thought because its like saying goodbye when you go home for the holidays. Yeah its goodbye but you are family and you know you will be in touch and keep up and see each other again. Its that hope that brings the joy to this weekend.
So yes I will miss all of you but we are family and so it is ok!!
3 comments:
Congratulations on your graduation Reebs! I am so happy for you.
I like how Daniel P. has the same stance and facial expression for the serious and the goofy group picture.
My oh my that black necklace is purdy! Carlie is so big now! Congratulations on graduating. You are going to love being a wildcat alumni!
Post a Comment