Monday, July 07, 2008

Today a day written on my heart

Growing up I always heard my mom talk about November 22, 1963 and where she was at the day JFK was shot and what she was doing. I then experienced moments like these in my own life such as January 28, 1986 when the Challenger exploded and one of our very own kindergarten teachers was a runner up to the teacher in space program and days like September 11, 2001 when I was actually on the phone with a banker in the World Trade Center.

There is another day 2 years ago July 7th I will never forget. There are also good days that aren't tragic and while this day was a tradegy it was also a victory for my dear friend Neal. I will never forget his joy, his smile, his charisma, his laughter, his funny saying, and awesome sense of humor and so many other things I mean come on who else puts ketchup on fajitas? (well I guess my friend Jana who puts ketchup on pizza might come close to that but...)

Anyway, today is a tough day. In two years I, his friends and especially his family who are my family have learned to traverse through life without his physical presence but his spirit lives in each one of us. There are times I think of something and think it is cool Neal is here in Spirit and that is an amazing thought. Today I pray for peace for Lloyd, Pam, Meredith, J.R., and Kimberly and all the others who today remember his victory.

We all miss you Neal but are blessed to carry on your Spirit.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Reebs~ Thank you for your support and your thoughtfulness. It is funny on a day like today...I feel like no one remembers him or how long it has been, but then I read the blog of a good friend who has always helped me carry this burden. Today is another day where we move along, one day closer to our own redemption from this world. I can't wait to see him again but for now I will just cling to the memories. Love you.

Gretchen said...

Through you I feel I have gotten to know Neal. Even though he is no longer here physically, he is still reaching out and blessing others through your stories, memories, and lessons learned from him. Thank you for not holding those memories inside, protecting them in a secret place.

Casting them out on the wind, they float like the seeds of a flower until they find a good place to grow. Many of these seeds have taken root in my heart.

Blessings & Love,
ge

gamma raise said...

I just read every word of your trip journal. It sounds like you all had a great time. I heard through C. Jaye you might be coming to Big D (and I don't mean Dallas) in August. You can help me unload!