Thursday, August 09, 2007
Plagues of Crickets
About this time last summer as I was moving to Abilene and their were dead crickets all over our house and garage and frankly if I really think back all over Abilene I was chalking it all up to how dry it was last year and that is was an unusual fluke and I would never see these masses of crickets again. Well I want to believe it is a fluke again this year because of the vast amount of rain we have seen but I have a feeling that really the Plagues of Crickets is an annual event here. And believe me when I say plague well lets just say if this is half as bad as what hit the Egyptians I would have let those people go in two seconds!!!! Let me try to describe this to you but seriously I don't think you can understand unless you experience it firsthand. For instance you walk into your garage in the morning and there are about 15 dead crickets added to the 15 that you were too tired to sweep out the night before and this is after you had swept them out the morning before. You walk up the steps to the clinic and the normally concrete colored stairs are black from dead crickets and you hop and skip, not to prevent further squashing of the dead ones but to hope that a live one does not jump on top of your feet. And then there is the smell I can't even begin to find the right words to describe that. Maybe a mixture of dead fish left on top of a hot car engine and baby poop. Luckily between the professional exterminator and the Rebekah home remedy of extermination by spraying bottle of bug killer around the house so far we have managed to keep the crickets out of the house (not so for the spiders or roly polys but...). Although the newest rumor I've heard is that the crickets lay eggs and something about the rain causes them to hatch so I can't wait until the baby crickets start running around and they may can squeeze between the cracks in the doors the big crickets can't get in. Oh yes and one thing I forgot to mention is the cricket lullabyes that rock me to sleep everynight and wake me up in the morning with their version of RISE AND SHINE AND LISTEN TO MY ANNOYING CHIRPING SOME MORE. Seriously they either take shifts to keep the whole world awake or only require like two hours of sleep. Good thing I'm not allergic to these critters but this is just one more reason to not put up residence in good ole Abilene!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Very nice Rebekah. I remember those crickets well. Plaguing the dorms and stinking up the air. There have actually been a lot of crickets in Austin too lately and I think they are taking up home in our office building to stay dry. But the crickets in this office are not near as bad as the flies and gnats. They are everywhere!!! and it smells like diarrhea. Not really an ideal place to spend 8 hours a day.
I'm terrified of crickets so I think I'd pretty much die of shock or fear or whatever if I lived there. I know they can't hurt me but the jumping startles me. I don't like surprises like that. YIKES! I'm with you...move far away as soon as you finish school.
Post a Comment