One thing that I have really been reminded of since seeing clients in the clinic here and working at the YMCA especially since both of those tend to serve a lower income population here in Abilene is how blessed I am. Not just physically, but spiritually, mentally, emotionally, educationally, etc. I sponsor a child in the Dominican Republic through Compassion International named Minouche. Basically I write her about once a month encouraging her and she writes me back and then I contribute a very small amount of money to her project so to speak for her schooling and clothes etc. I think I have sponsored her for 4 or 5 years now. Anyway, this year I decided I would send her a little extra money, a very little extra money for her birthday. $499.05 in fact in Domincan Currency which sounds like a lot but believe me in the US money was not that much. Anyway, I had hoped that she would be able to splurge and by herself something special. This is the latest letter I received from her, " I pray you and your whole family are doing well. I feel very happy to write back to you and thank you for the $499.05, my mom will buy me milk, chocalate, oats, eggs, and some other things......"
I racked my brain unsuccessfully to try to remember the last time I asked my mom to buy me milk or eggs for my birthday or for that matter chocalate. Now maybe I EXPECTED a chocalate cake but....
Anyway it made me think that even though I think I'm a poor college student I don't wander where my next meal will come from (for that matter have never wandered where my next meal will come from as you can probably tell), I don't wander if I'm going to be able to run my AC if I get too hot, I don't wander if I can take a shower or if the water has been cut off, I don't worry about having to figure out how I'm going to go somewhere I just hop in the car and go even at 3 complaining all the while bucks a gallon. I have clients that have to worry about these things. Beyond these things I have emotional blessings. I have friends that will listen to my ranting and raving, I have spiritual blessings, I have the ability and means to go to a Private college and get a Masters degree. I can go on and on. But I still complain and fuss and want more and wish I could afford this or that. Hmmm maybe we should have everything stripped away from us every once in a while to truly appreciate our blessings. I assigned a client of mine homework once for a week to write down 3 specific blessings everyday. Maybe I should assign myself that homework!!!
3 comments:
Indeed. I hate it / need it when God decides I'm not paying enough attention and grabs my attention forcibly and humbles me and reminds me how truly blessed I am. Just for jollies, here are three blessings for me this week:
1) Downtime between work and school next week
2) Getting to visit with my mother
3) Creating a memorial video for a lady whose son was killed a year ago. - there's that perspective again.
blessings, Rebekah.
Rebekah - Stumbled upon your blog tonight. Wow...what a blast from my Harding past! Hope you are doing well. May God richly bless your decision to change careers. Good for you! Take Care...
Jody Bunt
I stumbled on your site through a link on someone's page and wondered - how did you add that "Books I'm Reading" section? I'm new to blogging and can't figure it out!
Post a Comment